Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Theory post: Stop and go. Pot control OOP

I have been researching posts about stop and goes for some time now and I still find the posts to be largely uninformative and incompete. So, for my sake and the forums, I would like to have a post going over all of the benefits of stopping and going and the proper oppenants/situations to stop and go with. I can think of a few:

AA on a JT2 board after raising preflop with typical semi-aggressive players. You bet the flop OOP, he raises, you call. On a blank turn (7 or lower or a T), you 1/2 pot it/fold to a raise (of course the decision being player dependent). If he calls, 1/2 2/3 pot river

Situation 2: Tournament short-stack, call preflop with AQ/AK or 99-TT with close to half your stack, bet the rest in the dark on the flop to gain some fold equity.

I would like to clarify when blocking bet on the river should take place. Do they usually occur when the board pairs on the river and when you have a hand you would probably call a pot bet with? For ex: a small flush on a Kc Qc Q 9c 2 board?

Lets get some discussion going. Critique above examples. what are are some more examples? List your merits, disadvantages, and reasons why.