Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2005, 04:55 PM

Default A Power Play in Stud

Conventional wisdom is Stud says that if a player raises with an ace up, it's likely that he has that hand. So if a man raises with split queens and gets re-raised by a king, he folds. But i took a what if approach and thouht "I can use this idea to my advantage."

So thhrough a randomization process, I take down a huge amount of preflop. One out of every fouro times the aforementioned situation comes up, I re-raise and knock him out.

Also, it adds a good element of unpredictability to my play. Typically, when I actually have the hand, I show it. Then, I show a bluff. This establishes the dominant and unpredictable image that allows you to run a table.

Or, I keep the bluffs under wraps the whole session and just keep raking in the small pots.

Another play I use is devastating against a sophisticated player. He raises with a big card up, then with a random card i re-raise and four bet if nessecary. This puts him in a tough spot. He realizes that you must be rolled up or have buried aces and fold.

Comments?