Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Play it meek, or strong

This hand came up the other day in a 10 +1 Poker Stars tournament a little before 1st break. I bring it up here because I got into an argument with a friend of mine regarding the best way to play it.

I don't have the hand history, so I'll have to paraphrase.

Read on Villain (UTG+2): Tight and probably solid. Doesn't seem overly creative, but has read a few books. I am very confident on my read.

Hero table image (MP1): Tight aggressive. I've made a number of steals, but the only time I've had to show, I've had the goods. Still early enough in the tournament where I don't think my image matters much.

Fun table observation. Once the pot is raised, there is a very good chance that a couple of gamblers will come along for the ride. I've seen at least 2 pre-flops raised 3-4BB, called, then overcalled by two others with suboptimal hands.

Action (blinds 50/100):
Folds to Villain (1,800) who min-raises to 200.

I have AKo (2,400).

(There are no super short stacks. Everyone has between 10BB-28BB)

What would you do?

I chose to raise to 600 to chase away the call-stations and to help define the villain's hand. However, please note I was 60% sure he had a big hand and was slow playing.

My friend's recommendation was to flat call and see the flop (because of my read).