Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2003, 05:13 PM

Default calling sucks: a glaring example

I'm enjoying a loose/passive NorCal 3/6 game when a new player comes to the table. He doesn't know about blinds or structured betting, but he wins the first three hands he's dealt in. Then he gets a premium pocket pair before he's done stacking his winnings. He's up about four racks in half an hour. The other players are getting loose and aggressive, raising with ace-rag offsuit in an attempt to isolate him. He responds by pulling a runner-runner full house to crush the guy who flopped aces up and the lady who turned a straight. I fold and wait for nice cards.

I sneak in for one bet with 99, flop a set, and go seven bets on the turn against the new guy and his unimproved pocket tens (on a queen-high board).

I keep folding.

After a time I get AKo in early position. I raise, and the new guy and I cap it between us. 6 to the flop for 4 SBs each.

The flop is A-4-9 rainbow. The new guy and I cap it between us, losing two players in the process. The pot now contains around 40 small bets.

The turn is a deuce. I bet, player on my left calls, new guy raises, player on his left folds, I three-bet, the caller folds. New guy hesitates for the first time since he called the seventh turn bet ages ago. The pot contains around 50 small bets. He calls.

The river is a five, no flush possible. I bet. He raises. I think for a second. This guy has never seen me call postflop, only raise. He has never seen me go to the river has an underdog. He has never seen me show down anything weaker than AQo for top pair, second kicker. I can't convince myself that this guy is putting me on anything less than a pair of aces. All the cards are out, so I don't have to charge anyone who is trying to draw. I can't put this guy on a hand. He might have me beaten. So I call.

New guy's shoulders slump. I can hear the dejection in his voice as he says, "I have $hit. King high." He flips them over and says, "Good hand."

The dealer says, "Sir, you have a straight."