Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2005, 05:13 AM

Default Should you \"play through\" a bad run of cards?

For the past 2 weeks playing online I have been getting pretty bad cards, and it shows no signs of letting up. But I keep playing anyway, and I just keep on getting bad cards. In fact I am trying to play even more than usual, to try to "play through" the bad streak. Few isolated patches of good cards sustain me, i.e. during a 2 hour session (~120 hands) the only hand I won was when my pocket aces flopped a full house. The bankroll has been slowly shrinking.

When you're getting this kind of cold streak, is it better to stop playing for a while, or just plow through it? I guess it depends how you conceptualize hot/cold streaks in poker. Is a streak a "phenomenon" that comes and goes (so you can wait it out), or is it merely a start and end point on the endless sequence of cards you're dealt (which will pick up where it left off)?

I don't know how this compares to tilt. I certainly wouldn't try to play through tilt. This is more like perpetual disappointment. I don't play any differently than before, it's just the cards that are not cooperating.

What works best for you guys to get through a prolonged run of bad cards? (is 2 weeks even prolonged?)