Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Don\'t Think Riemann Hypothesis Is Right Successor To Fermat.

As far as I'm concerned, an unsolved math problem cannot have widespread appeal unless the general population can understand what is unsolved. Fermat's Theorem and the Four Color problem fit that bill perfectly. Riemann doesn't come close. So (in spite of its importance) I don't know why mathmeticans are building it up as much as they do. I don't think they realize that the question isn't getting much of a following from the masses.

There are hundreds of unsolved number theory problems that everyone can understand. However they don't have history attached to them. An exception is Goldbachs Conjecture. But it has the problem that to an average person, it is self evident, even if there is no proof. Once you get past the first several dozen even numbers it seems inconceivable that you will find one that isn't the sum of two primes.

Thus I am suggesting that the mathematical community shift its focus away from Riemann (when trying to get regular people interested in math by invoking something yet unsolved) and instead start talking about the other well known problem that almost everyone can understand (and wonder why it hasn't been solved.) I am speaking of course about the Twin Prime Conjecture.