Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Anyone ever been berated for agressive play?

This happened a while back but I just thought of it again recently.

I was playing at the Hollywood Park $2/$4 fish market, and was playing quite LAG-ish, as I would be inclined to do in any eight-to-a-flop game. As I assume live $2/$4 is apt to be, the game was filled who WOULD NOT bet out or raise unless they had completely made their hand. I was one of three people raising preflop, and the only one doing it w/o aces or kings. I was capping flops with things like middle pair and nut flush draw (together I mean), considering there was four or five calling it.

Well, at first I guess people thought that I was stupid or crazy, as they were saying things like "I know you don't have a hand" and "you're gonna go broke betting like that." I would generally just shrug my shoulders and smile, maybe give a "we'll see" or whatever. Normally I figured these people wouldn't be sharp enough to pick up on betting patterns, but I stood out so obviously.

Anyway, everything was cool for about 2 hours, the passing comments continued, etc. etc...then I went on a three-hand run where I hit a set, an OESD, and a flush draw, building huge pots for all three and was all of a sudden up like $250. Now, anyone skilled would know that I just played sound poker and built pots with draws that happened to hit. Well, the HP massive didn't seem to take to it.

Next thing I know I'm getting LOTS of looks - one guy calls his boy over from another table and is like "I was winning but this MF'er who doesn't know what he's doing keeps getting lucky, raising when he doesn't have SH*T", and so on and so forth. I noticed some glares heading my way as well. Then about 3 hands later it got worse - I check raised holding QJs on a 10-9-2 rainbow flop. One guy at the table is like "man I KNOW you ain't got nothing - who do you think you're fooling?" and reraised me. I put him on a set, and promptly folded when the turn paired the deuce on the board. sure enough, fishies called him down and my read was correct as he showed 99. He wasn't done running his mouth though, he was saying things like "you're not gonna get lucky against me playing like some dumb ass - stop trying that at this table cause you're going to get caught." Not wanting the table to turn into a dick-measuring contest, I decided to try and explain that I play that way because if I get my card the pot is built up. Another woman whose VPIP may have been 100 chimes in with "look I know any two cards can hit, but betting with nothing is plain stupid."

I was ready to leave anyway, so at that point, rather than have the table ganging up on me with hostility, I decided I should get outta there. On my way out, I got a nice "learn how to play before you come back" - even though I left up $200!!

I mean, I've played in games where fish don't understand or question my style of play, but never one where they berate it. Weird.

This kinda thing ever happened to anyone? Where aggro play made you the enemy?