Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2005, 10:46 AM

Default HoH1 Blind Protection

Reading HoH1 last night (fantastic for anybody who hasn't read/bought it) and had some questions for Dan on his blind protection advice, but the bastard wont answer his cell phone so lets see what ya'll think:

He says that when playing against aggressive/super-aggressive opponents you have to defend your blinds from time to time, you want to win/lose the hand as quickly as possible and move on, yada yada. He says to alternate between flat-calling raises and re-raising on a random basis. He also says that when you flat-call or your raise is called you can bet the flop or check-raise as a hyper-aggressive move (this is also when you are the initial aggressor).

I like all of this very very much and though I do stuff similar to this already, I have never had a clear roadmap for it like this, and I am a player who really likes structure and rules to follow etc.

So the question:

Given that I would like to incoporate doing the above (on a random basis) into my game, at what intervals would be optimal?

New move 1: What % of time to defend blind (w/ a hand that I may open from in LP but definately not a hand I'd normally defend blinds with...say KJo or A5 or 67s etc.)?

New move 2: When blind is defended, what % of time to raise and what % of time to flat call?

New move 3: When blind is defended by flat-calling raise, what % of time to contest the pot by leading or check/raising (assuming unimproved hand and reasonably safe board)? And then when pot is contested...what % of time to lead and what % to check-raise?

Again all of this is ONLY WHEN playing a super-aggressive opponent who attacks your blinds often, with both players having semi-deep stacks and neither being pot committed by the blinds or initial raising.

I am thinking that 50-50 is good for all of the above. And I am further thinking that that is either a really +EV assumption on my behalf or a SERIOUSLY -EV assumption and my figure is way off.

Discuss.