Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Help me reorganize my life: Becoming a grinder (long-ish)

Hi,

I need some help, and I have no idea where to post this. Any help is much appreciated.

Background on me. I play somewhat for the money, but mostly for achievement. This year, I quit my job and started playing for a living. I've done well. I'm now comfortably beating 5/10 NL and 15/30 limit on various sites. Of course, I play very few hours. This is for two reasons: (1) I tend to expend high energy when I play--It's not that I'm a lag, but if I see a situation that I can profit from when I put all my money in the middle, I do it; this is different from just nutpeddling. (2) I spend lots of time on 2+2 reading and thinking about the game, so I stay in game shape. All in all, I follow the "work on the game a lot, but play few, but very efficient hours" model. It works well for my life.

Now, my life is changing. I'm going to law school, and I want to be good at it. This means that instead of having a primarily "gambler lifestyle", I will have a "law student" lifestyle. The two are very different. Of course, I really enjoy gambling, and I want to continue to do it. Having side income is also nice. But I can't do it at nearly the level I do it at now; I won't have the time to work on my game, and the stress of, say, losing $1k in a night is something you can take when you play for a living (just play later in the week or month, and you'll get it back), but not when you're a law student.

So, help me with two things:

(1) What attitudinal adjustments should I make? I'm preparing to do things like read 2+2 less, close accounts on marginal sites so I don't do things like bonus whore, etc. I think this is healthy, and should greatly streamline the time I spend playing at relatively minimal cost to my profitability.

(2) What games should I play? My constraints are such--I want to have high profitability with relatively little variance. But I can't spend too much time working on the game, because I simply won't have the time. Assume that I will be adequately bankrolled for middle limit games, and that I am reasonably proficient at all games. I also get rakeback at party. But also factor in that I don't want to deteriorate in my play too much when I eventually "come back" to gambling a bunch. Here are the choices (for any, you may also include 6/max/SH):

- Mid-stakes NL (5/10)
- Lower-stakes NL (2/4 and down)
- Mid-stakes limit (15/30)
- Lower-stakes limit (5/10 and down)
- Stud
- Stud/8
- PLO
- Omaha/8
- Triple Draw
- Crazy Pineapple
- SNG's
- MTT's

(some of the above choices are clearly jokes)

Any thoughts on the above are much appreciated