Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2005, 04:52 AM

Default WSOP - XRay Vision Winning Chances

Let's talk about the 2005 WSOP Main Event.

If you were a parcipant in this event, and you were also allowed to see everyone's cards. What do you think your chances would be to actually win this thing?

Certainly, you couldn't always wait for a situation where your opponent was drawing dead. And, you'd have to avoid get ting sucked out on at key times, I would imagine.

What would the optimal strategy be for an X-Ray vision player? What kind of edge would you look for before committing your stack? Or, would you avoid all-ins altogether even when the odds are heavily in your favor? Say you have AA and you see that an opponent of yours who has you covered had AK and another opponent had KJ. Would that be enough for you to call the all-in? Or would you pass on this opportunity?

I'm ask this because I heard a quote from Raymer (I think) that said that even if you had the best player in the world play this over his entire lifetime, he might only win this event 2% of the time. Now, I'm not talking about the best player in the world... but what would arguably be the best player ever (one that could see all opponent cards). What would his winning chances be?

I'll throw out a guess... I'd say that the typical person with this X-Ray ability might be 3% to win. A person like Sklansky might have up to 30% or more. Can't back up those numbers in any way... just threw them out there to start the discussion.

-RMJ