Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2005, 01:34 AM

Default I am really bad at poker

If you where to ask me to rate where i stand on a scale of 1 - 10 in terms of poker skill i would say 2, i would think that many of people woudnt reach above 5.

I am wondering how good these guys that are crushing the games of today are? are they good just because others are bad? or are they good.

I have in my mind the old saying, the cards dont matter, but really they do matter, in fact the cards is all that matters, we wait for the good cards and throw the bad ones. So can a good player have bad cards forever, and i dont mean absolute dead cards, i mean if i was to play an infinite amount of hands and you were to play an infinite amount of hands, is it possible that the hands you got were slighty more +EV than mine.

I think about every hand i have won or lost and think how much theory went into the hand and how much luck it took to pull it off.

example i am dealt UTG 99 i raise the pot, button min raises, solid player i know he has i top ten hand, i decide to find out what he has, PP or AK etc i min raise back, my plan if he calls, or raises i am done with the hand as i will be beat, he calls, i hit a set on the flop and take all his money he shows QQ. Now what did this guy do wrong? i cant see any fualt in his play. if i dont hit my set he wins, he is obviusly worried about AA KK, i dont see how he cant go broke on that hand.

Now you are thinking, yeh but QQ will win enough money over time to make up for that, well that is true but, what have you done to earn that money off your opponent, nothing you got dealt QQ 99% of the time it plays itself from there. Hitting bottom set will also pay for its self over time, but who here as ever laid down a set on a board of 3610AJ rainbow, in fear of someone having a higher set. Cant say i have.

So what we have basically done is worked out what hands have the best EV in what spots, we wait for them then we attack, we allow the other players who arent so good get mixed up in everypot and we wait and wait and wait till we are at least a 60/40 fav and we pounce.

But what if you where forced to play every pot ie Heads Up, how many of us would come away winners when we cant wait. But heads up isnt accurate as your cards might be on a better run than mine and i cant do anything with cold cards.

Well then i guess your not a very good player, as the cards dont matter or do they?