Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Bet AA preflop to reduce the number of callers?

[ QUOTE ]

What if you play against 5 opponents, each of whom pays 15% of their stack preflop?

My point is this: You raise preflop so that your opponent is -EV if he calls (including implied odds). If you make the necessary raise, you're happy if he calls. And this is separately true for each player. If calling is -EV for one opponent, it's -EV for all opponents. The number of people calling is irrelevant - in fact each call makes you more $ on average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the the last ops paying this 15% raise would easily have the odds to call with 45% of their stack already in the pot and 4 or five players with more behind.

Besides which, you can't bet out 15% of your stack with AA unless you're at a crazy table and make this sort of bet all the time ... unless you want to flip your cards face up that is.

I also don't want the entire table calling my aces. While my EV may go up with more callers (to a point) so does the variance. While this may not matter in the long run, the EV you're gaining per caller isn't enough for me to justify it.

That said, even the examples given aren't adaquate, as I'm probably pushing most of these holdings out on the flop. I'd be interested in seeing an application that could gauge likely confidence on the flop. This is a little undefined, so I can see why it hasn't been done ... or has it?