Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Chess books?

Reading available literature and studying poker has changed the way I approach and play other games- I figure chess study can only help my poker game

I've played chess since childhood, and have noticed that my level of chess play (as well as backgammon and other games) has improved due to poker study. Now I'd like to really learn to play chess. There seems to be so much literature out there; I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions?

Just remembering a night when I met my first "educated" card player. About 5 yrs ago a guy told me if I want to really learn the game remember 2 names... I was more than a bit drunk in that morning conversation, but in the bookstore the next afternoon, as I looked for "stunt skiing mammoth" I came across TOP and HPFAP... and it's all downhill from there...

Is there an equivilent to TOP in chess (TOC perhaps?) that covers broad strategy/ tactictal approaches in different stages of the game...

or an equivilant to HPFAP... something heavy with alot to study when progressing through different levels of understanding the game... or is there mabye 3 seperate "HPFAP"'s for the early, mid and late stages of play...

recommended approaches to study chess?

Thanks in advance,
faith