Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2005, 01:54 AM

Default How did you move up beyond 10/20 6 Max...any pointers?

Hi All,

The last post I made like this was in the zoo. It was last december and I had just turned my free $10 in chips at Royal Vegas into 2k by grinding the .05/.10 and .10/.20 and finally the big game--the .25/.50

Anyways, long story short some neccessary cashouts left me with $300 at the end of January. I've made about 26k since then and have recently been beating the 10/20 6 Max for 2.88BB/100 over my last 32k hands. So I'm clearly new to the game and the sum total of my playing (maybe 120k hands) still constitutes a small sample size but I've been running well and its all been working out.

I currently have a little over 10k in my playing roll and am wondering where to go from 10/20 6 Max.

continue to grind 10/20 6 Max?
15/30 full?
20/40?
30/60?

I have gotten where I am by moving up agressively and moving down when I run bad. I've lost half my roll probably on 5-6 occassions (maybe 3 times trying to move to the 5/10 6 max, a couple before that and once in a combined 15/30-10/20 downswing). I know what its like to build a roll from scratch and do have the ability to stop playing if I'm tilting or running extremely bad.

The easy answer to my question used to be play the 15 full as soon as your roll allows and you feel comfortable.

I only ask because I see these guys on my buddy list playing much higher than they use to now that the new bigger games are present. Guys I used to routinely own at 10/20 are now consistently sitting 20/40 and 30/60. The games def feature more good players but there seems to be a pretty high donk ratio to balance it out.

I've played 2600 hands at 30/60 and maybe 500 at 20/40. I have been a slight winner but thats a nothing sample size. I also played most of those hand when my playing roll was closer to 20k.

Anyways I was playing the 30/60 the other day with my 10k roll and ran into a few bad beats in a row and dropped 70BB. I was pretty scared and was going to stop if I hit 5k (was already at 4k) but the table was extremely soft and I managed to end up only down 500 or so. Obviously I don't have a safe roll for the 30/60. However the games are so good at times I really want to sit.

Do I just need to grind the 10/20 for 3 more months and move to the 30/60 with a 30k roll or whould I be taking shots now?

I'm leaning towards declaring the 30/60 offlimits until I have at least 200BB and limiting myself to 10-20 and only palying 15-30 or 20-40 if a particular table warrants sitting. Any thoughts? Anything I should watch out for?
What was your experience moving past the 10/20 6 Max?