Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Pokernomics.com: A Major Project Collecting Hand Histories

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm.

I sent a long email to this economist guy first explaining to him about chip and dollar EV models and fold equity etc etc and said this would be a far better thing to investigate than there original idea for analysis which was poker luck or skill (duh) or sumthing equaly obvious/dumb which was on the freakonomics website about a 2 months ago.

I wanted him to look at current models and explained in depth some of the issues sorrunding SNG theory.

I never got a response for this email, but now this happens.

Nice to see that your ideas have been ripped off without even a thankyou for your input. Though that is how the world of academia works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. To be fair when I was in undergrad there (I actually completed an Economics degree as well but at the time you were allowed to "double major") there was tons of chatter about poker re: game theory and the like. Don;t get me wrong I am sure he stole your idea but its something that has been perculating there for a while. With the poker explosion and Leavitt essentially being a "pop" economist it was inevitable that his "academic" work and poker would intersect.