Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Rules Question, $1,000 WSOP \"Mega\" Super-Sat Qualifier

125 entrants, 12 seats to the big dance (13th gets a small prize). 13 players left at two tables, playing hand-for-hand. I am a mid-small stack (maybe 8th in chips). 7 at my table. 6 (including the two short stacks) at the other table. However, the blinds are so big that we're all short stacks. (Example: I have T14,000...blinds/antes are 1K/2K/400.)

The tourney has a mix of pros and experienced amateurs, with a few wild cards mixed in. Two of the wild cards are at my table, and they don't appear to understand sat. strategy. There's a lot of chat at our table about the desperation of the two short stacks opposite (example: "the short stack will be in the BB in two hands!"). Are we trying to influence those at our table to avoid making moves? You betcha. However, there is no direct discussion about strategy. At one point, it's folded to me in the SB with AK. I fold face up. Am I trying to send a message? Yep.

The wild cards at our table get the message. Approximately 20 hands are folded to the BB at our table. Two big name pros are backing/supporting one of the short stacks at the other table and start accusing our table of collusion. They cite my AK fold as evidence.

The pros "demand" that the tournament directors redraw for tables to break up the collusion. The TD is a junior guy and it looks like he's going to do as they suggest. I go ballistic, arguing there is no justification for redraw nor any support for that sanction in TDA rules. My position: If the TD thinks someone is softplaying, they should impose a penalty. However, they cannot arbitrarily reshuffle just because some big-name pro makes an accusation.

Q1. What, if anything, should the TD do?
Q2. Was my AK face-up fold unwise? illegal? unethical? or none of the above?