Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2005, 02:52 PM

Default As you know, I\'m a calling station.. Hand Vs. Roland.

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Roland: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Beer: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
RunningBad: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (9.00 SB)

Roland: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Beer: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
RunningBad: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (4.50 BB)

Roland: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Beer: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
RunningBad: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (4.50 BB)

Roland: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Beer: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
RunningBad: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

River - (7.50 BB)

Roland: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks
Beer: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (7.50 BB)

Well, this is post #2100 for BeerMoney. I think you're supposed to make these posts at 2000 or something, or when you're a poohbah, but I'm making mine now. We all understand I try to be different. Like Mr. Roland, I started out playing micro limits about this time last year. Although I started in hold 'em. Worked my way up to 2/4 HE, then moved over to 3/6 stud. I was often frustrated with the .5/1 tables, so I stayed away from them and built my bankroll playing hold 'em. I decided stud would be the game for me because I feel like I can understand how my hand will play in certain situations more than my opponents, and it is not something that could be taught in a book. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's why I wanted to play stud. I also chose stud cause the pots are huge, and I have something of a gambling problem. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Upon joining the 3/6 tables, I found out who michael emery played as when viewing the internet forum. I dropped him a line, and mike said "holy crap, you're douchedog, I had you pegged as one of the better players at the 3/6 tables." Well, as we all know by now, mike likes to give us a false sense of confidence, but I fell for it. Nevertheless, I started reading the stud forum more, and eventually started taking shots at 5/10.

Like every "shot" I've taken, I was quickly bitch slapped back down to my previous stakes. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to stop limping with garbage, like potential big hands cause I wasn't getting the implied odds, and wasn't going to get paid off when I hit a paired door card like I was at 3/6.

So, after reading the posts of Mike Emery,an already succesful 5/10 player, and Jon 1Van a new player like myself, I learned how to truly play tight in a structure that demanded such play.

From there, I took a shot at 10/20, and once again, got hammered back down after losing 1000+ in a coupla nights, and basically ruined my x-mas break. Repeat procedure, go back to 5/10, actually rebuilt my roll playing NLHE MTT's, and gave it another shot. Now, I actually learned how to play tight!! This time I successfully entered 10/20.

So, here I am.. A marginal winner at the 10/20 game 1 year later, after starting at micro limits. I still have a lot to learn, and that's what makes poker so great. Knowing that in 1 year from now, I will look back and think about how much I sucked now, and how much I've learned.

Like Beta, I'm gonna take a few days to clear my head. I am weak psychologically right now, and need to change that.

I would like to thank these posters in particular for all of their help:

Mike Emery: Thanks for all the strategy help, but in particular the psychological help. You more than anyone have made me the player I am today.

Andy B: 'Nuff Said. We all know what this guy's done for our games. I owe you a beer if we meet up sometime.

Jon1van: Thanks for drawing attention to particular sections of 7CSFAP.

Roland: Thanks for showing me what it really means to play tight..

lstream: You da man! U keep poker fun for me.

And the rest of the forum of course. I hope you all enjoy my hand posts, and weren't bored with this post.