Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Need your guys advice.. (interesting post, honest)

Ok, I've been thinking about this a lot and am still not sure for various reasons.

To clarify who I am a bit, I'm doing a degree (Business and management) and I work part time. The whole point of this post is to establish if I should be working part time. I was going to post this in general but I thought I would benefit more from the advice of those who have the most experience with SSNL. I've been playing poker since the age of 16 (21 now) and have pretty much always been a big fan of it, starting off home games around my area and such..

Anyhow, I started playing SSNL online for the first time around about the start of febuary. Since then I've made about $4-5k (including bonus's) over 80k hands or so. This sum is a substantial amount more than what I would expect to make at my part time job, which is hideously boring. My question to you guys is, should I just quit my job?

The only good reasons I can see for not quitting are:

1. The perks of having a job that requires little to no effort (working for the general merchandise department), job security and hardly any responsibility.

2. My sample size (80k) isn't sufficient enough? I'm really not sure on this one.

3. Trying to tell people I play poker for income.. I've thought about this one and it just seems weird. To my poker playing friends, they can understand how I am able to make the money that I do online, but to the others and any other people I could potentially meet, I'm not sure how they would react to it.

4. I should quit my job but find another one, for reasons other than money i.e. meeting new people while still doing a degree, although this one isn't so important in as much as I have good friends and a liver damaging social life (like most other students do! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Anyhow comparing the two amounts over the 5 months, roughly; £2500 playing poker (something i love) against, £1500 working (12 hours a week and something I hate), should I:

A. Quit my job and play poker for part time income.

B. Establish a broader sample to prove to myself that I am definitely playing winning poker.

C. Find a new job for reasons other than money.

Grateful for any insightful responses.