Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Roy Cooke\'s article in current CardPlayer

If you haven't read it, the article was written as an open letter to Doyle Brunson. One section of his article really jumped out at me:

[ QUOTE ]
You understand the poker economy far better than most people who are reaping the benefits of it today. Although the scale is different, the principle remains the same: As the weak players go broke or just give up, the game dries up. When I first started playing Internet poker, the typical pot in most $15-$30 games was around $250, with $300 not being uncommon; in $20-$40 games, pots were regularly $500 and more. Today, the pots are half that size. The money in the low and middle limits, which are the base of the poker pyramid, is starting to shrink. People are stepping down and stepping out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering if other online players have noticed the same things as Mr. Cooke, in terms of less fish and smaller pots. I play primarily $11 and $22 SNG's, and I've noticed them tightening up lately, with more conservative play in the 1st 3 levels and more players left at level 4.

My feeling is that the current easiness of the games is simply impossible to sustain (and they are probably already getting harder). The Darwinian nature of poker is designed to force the losing players out eventually. Most losing players will only bang their heads against a wall for so long before they pack it in.

To the pros who have been playing online for a while - do you find that you have to work harder today to win, than you did, say a year ago?