Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: SSNL F.A.Q. v2.0

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't advice. It was my personal opinion. I'm not gonna call 10BBs preflop with 33 in HOPES that someone has KJo to race for a pot in which I've invested nothing. Sure, going in with 33 against KJo is definitely +EV, but I choose to put 10BBs in preflop in better spots. Like I said, "That's just my preference, though."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not an accurate example of a slightly +EV situation. Under any normal circumstances you will have no way of putting your opponent on exactly two high cards. A hand that's been pushed preflop has an inordinate probability of being a pocket pair that crushes you. Your hand is considerably behind the likely mathematical range of your opponents', hence this is a -EV call. I think you're being slightly disingenuous here for the sake of your argument.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm missing the parts where I come off as condescending.

[/ QUOTE ]

Permit some examples.

1)Q: Damn, I just got outdrawn for a monster pot. Do you want to hear about it?

A: Absolutely not. Nobody cares. Unless you're a well respected poster who has provided many replies in this forum, you will be flamed for a bad beat post. Earn your stripes before you bitch.

This strikes me as completely unnecessary. Firstly, the smug suggestion of disciplinary action: "Oh, you will get flamed, joker." Secondly, you seem to suggest some kind of "Heirarchy of Useless Complaints" ('earn your stripes,' etc.) that's just an arrogant and pointless suggestion. A bad beat post w/ no other content or useful point to ponder is a waste of time and energy regardless of the post count of the originator. There's no place in it for "earned rights."

2)Q: I'm pretty sure that so-and-so is giving awful advice, should I trust it?

A: I urge you to differentiate the advice of a quality poster's between a random nitwit's. Figure out who offers solid replies and you'll be fine.

This really adds nothing. If you're not going to list the "nitwits," then what use is this? If you want to maintain decorum, then why take some vague, blanket shot like this?

Also, I see no reason why you couldn't include a short "general poker" list including ToP, "The Psychology of Poker," "Poker Essays" and so forth, as they contain invaluable ideas applicable to any game, plus provide the easy plug for our hosts that the previous poster suggested.

This is otherwise an above-average FAQ that addresses the relevant topics clearly & succinctly.