Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2005, 04:49 AM

Default quote

Here is a quote from a full tilt prolesson which I think applies to this forum.

"How much of a difference is there between ring game strategy and tournament strategy?

The answer: Not as much as you think.

Before you worry about adjusting for tournaments, concentrate on adjusting for the other players. The most important skill in poker is the ability to react to a wide range of opponents playing a wide range of styles. Players who can do this will thrive in both ring games and tournaments alike.

Many of the most costly tournament mistakes are the result of players over-adjusting for tournament play. "

I think that most of this forum has a "sng strategy" instead of just playing the game. I think that when I am playing bad, I think it is because I am getting into the habit of trying to figure out a sng strategy, such as tightening up early, instead of just playing poker. If you are a winning player in ring games, you should be trying to play as many hands as possible. You can certainly make money in sngs by playing as an 8 vpip in the first three levels, but I think you can make more by playing what you would in a regular ring game.

I have some more thoughts, but suck at typing them out, so I guess I will end here.