Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2005, 09:32 PM

Default first impressions of new ebay table

Summary: Not completely awesome -- worth the price I paid, but only that.

I paid $114 for the table, $100 of that for shipping. The pictures of the table on ebay: another table like it by same seller

Well, it took a long time to get here (bought it two weeks ago Friday night, didn't get payment through until Monday, got table on Wednesday of following week), but it's finally here.

It's not as great as I'd hoped: the rails are much thinner than the ones shown in the picture. And the drink holders are really shallow, as with other cheap tables. It seems sturdy enough, but not exceptionally so: pretty much like one of those big (6 foot) tables with the foldout legs and pressboard tops you can get for $60-80 at an office supply place.

The felt is pretty cheap, and I don't know if it will shed yet (haven't been able to get a game going in the two days -- I've been busy!). The big problem with the felt is that I don't see how one could refelt it without destroying the table. It looks like the felt was wrapped around the table-top, then a rail was wrapped on, and it's STAPLED on the bottom underneath the table!

I'd post pictures to show you what I mean, but I don't have a digital camera or a scanner, so getting pictures and getting them scanned will take a bit.

Yes, the table is ok, and I'm glad I have it. But I'm also glad I didn't spend more than $114 for it: it's worth just about that much. And since I really don't have much more than that to spend on a table -- the better tables are $250 and up, plus shipping -- I got as good a table as I could. I just sort of hoped it would be nicer...

The moral of the story is that you really do have to spend a lot more than $100 to get a truly awesome table, unless you can build it yourself. (Or wait for a year or so for all those great tables to be ebayed because no one is playing poker anymore!)