Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: lurker request; DERB update!

[ QUOTE ]
I also see what YOU'RE saying, but I am assuming a good player will adjust. I don't think that playing a DERB heads-up should be a problem for a good player, however...

I do think that playing hands against a DERB AND a solid player(s) in the pot WILL present some serious adjustment problems. DERB might be very good at playing solid players off each other. In other words, the presence of a solid player in the hand along with DERB could make things very problematic for the solid players who are trying to play well to know how to proceed. I think it's much more complicated than this, but I don't have a lot of time right now to put a lot of thought into how to word this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you recognize that its complicated in some way proves my point. Playing a solid player is not complicated at all; playing against a loose preflop/solid, good, aggressive postflop player is complicated -- very complicated. And I agree completely with your 3-handed comment -- this may be as important or more important than my heads up distinction.

I think you get it, but my overall point is this: In the world of limit holdem players, the top 10% (excluding the top 1%) of the players likely have VPIPs of between 18 and 24; however, the top 1% likely have much higher vpips. These obviously are just estimates to illustrate my point, but I think I'm almost correct.

Questions that I have asked myself: (1) Can I become one of those 1%ers? (2) If so, can I learn to do this by moving back to the lower limits and playing a DERB style? I think the answer to (1) is yes, but unfortunately the answer to (2) is no; I don't think the style of play mastered by the DERB types will/can work at the lower limits (but I'm not sure).