Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: QQ mid position, King high flop.

Bob:

[ QUOTE ]
What are the chances that I won/lost this hand, and how do you think I should have played it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the chances are pretty good that you won the hand, considering your oppoenents river check. I think you played the hand fine, except I vote for a river bet. You raise the flop b/c you think this opponent is capable of betting a hand worse than a K (pocket pair, 7X etc.) Checking behind on the turn is reasonable since 1.) there is only 1 overcard to your hand if you are ahead. And you opponent likely has between 2-5 outs...so a free card is not a disaster here. 2.) you opponent may fold to your bet if you he has some middling or small pocket pair. And you can likely pick up a bet on a bluff or on odd call on the river 3.) You can avoid the c/r, with a hand that would like to see a showdown in a decent size pot against a relatively unknown. But when he checks the river, I would go ahead and bet, and expect to be called by many hands.

[ QUOTE ]
If I won against a middle pocket pair, what do you think of my opponents play, and what adjustments should I make?

[/ QUOTE ]

You now know that your oppoent will take shots on the flop agaisnt a preflop raiser with less than top pair. To adjust, you should not be so quick to fold to his flop bets. Also, he becomes passive when played back at, So you can use this for free cards and free showdown plays.

[ QUOTE ]
If I lost, against a weak King, same questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your opponent should have bet the river, as I doubt you are raising the flop with a hand like AQ or AJ, and there is no draw; and so a pocket pair lower than Ks seems reasonable. After your turn check, your opponent's K is almost always good and, since you checked the turn, he can expect you to call.