Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2005, 08:07 PM

Default 20k Checkup

My first 20k hands have been a roller coaster--or rather a boomerang. Since I have little interest in blowing the initial $50 I put into Stars, I grinded my way up through the nanolimits--first at .02/.04 until I felt like I'd absorbed enough of SSHE to know what I was doing, then again until I had a (still low) bankroll of $100 for .25/.50. I kicked .25/.50's butt for a couple weeks, until the first of this month when the bottom fell out on me. I had a high of about $80 made at .25/.50 before this; by the time I moved down that plus was down to under three dollars [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My downswing has (hopefully) bottomed out at -200bb, a scary thing for a new player. Anyway, here's a snapshot of my first 20,000 hands; any advice at this point?

I know I should be doing more preflop raising and probably loosen up in general preflop; I take SSHE's tight guide as canon (Stars averages 3-4 to the flop at .25/.50, maybe 4-5 at .05/.10), but I can probably start looking at limping Kxs and raising a bit more on the button. If so, what else should I be looking at jamming with? The only thing I've added is raising ATo from UTG+1 on, and I'm not even certain that that's a good idea. Also, my turn AF is lower than the flop and river, mainly because I have a thing for betting/raising for free cards when I'm on a draw (another problem I was having as I'd tend to do it from any position, which doesn't make a lot of sense).

Let me know if I should be divulging anything else. Here's one thing that did interest me:

I understand that a lot of people lose money with one pair (though is this a sign that I'm seeing SD with them too often?), but more boats than flushes or straights? This has been the case pretty much my whole career; is this just an artifact of how often sets and trips improve or could I not be chasing gutshots and backdoors enough? Anyway, any comments on what I might want to look at would be appreciated.

PS: 72o is profitable for me. Go fig.