Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Life after Professional Poker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How could someone with an undergrad degree...IN THE STUDY OF MONEY, not be able to grasp the sheer lunacy of leaving a job to "give professional poker a whirl".

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker seems to me to be an excellent experience for someone very interested in economics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so too. I was a CS and Econ major in school, and poker is the only place where I actually apply what I've learned in college. I've been spending alot of time recently trying to see if I can understand the "economics" of poker. So far I have a lot of crazy theories that are probably wrong. If you think of the poker table as the "marketplace" and your opponents as your "competition", all poker is, is trying to come up with the perfect strategy to maximize your profits. If you're seriously thinking of getting a PhD in economics, and are interested in poker, you may even try to spend the year not only playing poker, but theorizing about the economics of the game. So far, I've not seen any economic models applied to poker, but I really think alot of the concepts I learned in college are very applicable, if only I hadn't drank so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's difficult? Replace Utility with EV.