Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2005, 10:56 PM

Default what possesses the LAG donator?

So I spent an enjoyable hour at a 5/10 6-max table tonight with an uber LAG the likes of which I have never seen before:

His Poker Tracker stats:
VP$P: 65
pf raise: 67
post flop aggression: 5

He would routinely raise every bet on every street. He lost 75 big bets in just under an hour.

Now this guy would win a lot of small pots by getting a single opponent, or sometimes two, to fold under pressure on the flop. I understand how in a short handed game you benefit from quite a bit of aggression on early streets, and therefore I can empathize with the thinking of a loose aggressive player who may take that strategy a bit further than I would, but who nonetheless appears to be adhering to a strategy of some sort that he expects to generate rewards.

But this guy was something of a completely different nature. He would routinely make utterly hopeless aggressive moves on later streets, capping holding stuff like 9 high against multiple tight and/or passive opponents on a board that had broadway cards and flush and straight possibilities, knowing the other players knew he bluffed constantly. There is no possible way any rational player could expect to induce folds in this situation, yet he kept on trying. He was hemorrhaging money.

I think we take for granted that even the worst players can rationalize their play according to some type of strategy, bogus or not in reality, that they at least believe will make them winners. But with this guy it almost seemed like he was just trying to get rid of his money.

Have you encoutered players like this before? Any thoughts on what's going on inside his head? Do you think he is rational, in the sense of a) being motivated to win money, and b) employing a strategy that he believes will accomplish that goal?