Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2003, 09:04 AM

Default Short-handed 20-40 w/kill

Moderately tough, 5 player game. This hand is between me and a tightish, tricky player. The whole night we had been running into each other. Every time he would raise preflop, I would always be holding a monster and reraise, only to meet him at the river and disappoint him. I was getting on his nerves greatly as his chips were finding their way onto my stack, always to an AA or KK 3-bet.

I had just won a large pot and had to post a $40 kill in the BB. Folded to him on Button and he raises, SB folds, I look down and see Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] and decide to 3-bet. I figured this would put fear into him as every previous reraise from me meant certain doom to a powerhouse. To my detriment, he 4-bets and I call. My guess was that this was a very large pocket pair he held.

Flop- 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

Well I hold two overcards that I am almost sure are no good, a gutshot to the nut straight, and backdoor clubs. I figure with that cooridinated flop, I can make a move and possibly push him off a hand . I check, he bets, I raise. He calls.

Turn- 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

Couldn't ask for a better card. Nut straight and straight flush redraw. This is where the hand gets interesting and I would like some thoughts. I check, figuring if I bet he will fold his overpair but, if checked through, call a river bet. My goal was to earn an extra bet I didn't think I could get if I bet that scary turn card.

Anyways, HE bets the turn after I check to him. I decide to checkraise. He folds his KK face up and makes a few distastful comments. Would a better plan be to check/call the turn, and then bet out on the river? OR do as I did and checkraise the turn? I found it very strange that he bet the turn, as it with that board, his overpair isn't looking too good. The reason I decided to checkraise the turn was the fact that if he did hold a set, unlikely with that board, he would be charged the maximum to hit his 10 outs. Looking back I think with my analysis of his play and what I thought he held, simply calling the turn and betting out on the river was the best play. What do you think?

PokerPrince