Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: My Party Poker account was hacked, lost $600

[ QUOTE ]
this is most likely what happened to mine, it was embarrassingly close to my username

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup....if your password is very similar to your user-name then someone will have a chance to figure it out.

After reading one or two of these type threads (usually I think it's the delinquent kid getting on their Dad's acct or something...but still....) I changed my passwords from stuff like 'Oscar7' to 'Tj%6l/eL:&3' or something like that.

Seriously people....if you've got thousands of dollars (or even just hundreds of dollars) riding on this it isn't worth taking any kind of chances just for the silly convenience of not having to write-down your passwords because they are THAT simple.

If I was a criminal who wanted to try to get away with that stuff I would try this out in a heart-beat.
It was asked earlier in the thread...but I don't think it was answered...as far as I know there is no limit to the number of times you can 'guess' at a password on party where they will 'freeze' the account.
If this is true then they need to implement something like this.

my bank-account has this. It also forces me to change my password every month or two.
When I go back there...if I accidentally type an old pass-word a couple times it freezes my account and I'm either not allowed to try again for 10 minutes...or I have to call cust-serv to clear it up.
Can be a pain in the ass....but I am very thankful that my bank does something like this and think that Party should consider doing same (again...this is assuming they don't do so already which I am not entirely certain about).