Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Taking it to the Next Level -- Longish Post

Over the last few weeks, I've been migrating from STTs to MTTs.

While I'm adjusting my game, I've been keeping it to very low stakes -- from cash pay out freerolls to Big Buck tourneys.

Typically, am finding myself with 400-600 players, top 30 or 40 get paid.

I find myself having some success, in that I reach the 'money' 30-40% of the time. However, so far I haven't been able to get deep into the final table, where the bigger payouts begin.

The question is any advice as to how to take it deeper.

My style -- Generally very tight early on. In the first hour or so, it's not unusual for me to see the flop (including Blind hands) 16 or 17% of the time. I loosen up considerably based on the the percentage of my stack that is a forced bet (i.e., blinds plus antes) per orbit.

The hands I decide to play, I'm looking to play hard and aggressively. Usually, the players at this level are oblivious and I can get away with this. However, if I find I'm getting no action at all, I'll start stealing blinds with impugnity until they don't let me get away with that.

Early rounds, I'm not spending a lot of effort stealing blinds, but as we get deeper, I'm looking for the opportunity.

Short stacked -- (say under 6-7 big blinds, maybe even more), the 'call' button all but disappears. It's either all in or fold here, most of the time.

Ok, as I stated, I'm having success getting into the money, but it's usually with a fairly short stack. Sometimes, hanging on by the fingernails till the bubble bursts. Sometimes with enough chips that doubling up can bring me from top 40 to 7-15.

My question, basically, is whether the strategy I'm using looks sound. I figure that either everything is more or less ok, and that as I play more tourneys, the bigger finishes will come, or I'm missing something fundamental here.