Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Rethinking a 5x bb call on the final table

Hey guys....I made the final table at the 10R on Saturday afternoon and was barely the chip leader with 500k when we started. I got majorly colddecked for the next thirty five hands and with the blinds at 15k/30k,750 ante, I was blinded off for about half my stack before I knew it. I simply had no hands I could do anything with. With about 200K left and now the short stack 6-handed, and the blinds now up to 20k/40k, I pick up KJ off. UTG raises to about 160k. This is now the chip leader with 1 million and has been somewhat aggressive, but as long as I've sat with him I've never seen him make a suspect play or repeatedly steal the blinds. I decide that if I call, I'm probably up against at least an ace, possibly dominated, maybe possibly a race against a medium pair. But who knows. Anyway, I muck it. The very next hand I pick up JT of clubs. Different player, UTG+1, makes it 160k. This player has a significantly shorter stack, like 450k, and could be moving with anything. I decide that with this hand I like my chances a lot better with all the straight and flush possibilities, so I call all in. He flips up KK and my tourney is quickly over. I finish in 6th for about $985. First place money was over 5 grand.

Would you have waited for a couple more hands? In two hands I would've been in the big blind for 40k, leaving me with 160k, and blinds were going up again in a few minutes to 30k/60k. Everyone else at the table was clearly waiting me out and all had at least 350k or more.