Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Typical home game dilemma

In our little neighborhood here at the Graduate Theological Union (yes, my home game is made up of people studying to enter the ministry), most of us see each other every day, and we have a game about once a week. The game is mostly made up of LPPs with a couple LaG's, with a lot of friendly talk, beer drinking and sillyness. Now, one of my best friends from my time at Cal is a strong player, reads 2+2 and almost always plays to take every last chip at the table. He intimidates a few of the weaker players, and frustrates a good player who wants to play a relaxing loose game of cards (he goes to the Oaks club if he wants "an aggressive game"). For my own part, I have a great win rate in this game, but I don't attract negative attention to myself because I play a little too tightly, and I don't put the suckers all-in at every opportunity.
So the good player who wants to play loose says he's not coming to the game if the strong player will be there. To make matters more confusing, one of the LaG's is leaving for Boston permanently next week and it would really suck if our friend weren't there.
My own opinion on this is that poker is poker, and the good player is being a crybaby just because he can't play stupid in the home game when the strong player is there. However, I have to balance a lot of diplomatic issues here and this is pissing me off because it's like a miasma of feminine melodrama.

What the [censored] should I do for tonight's game? And what should I do for the prevention of this bullshit in the future?

P.S. I am not in the ministry.