Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: F for First Amendment

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Except for some of the fallout from the J Jackson boob incident as far as some media is concerned. TV and Radio, that is. It's not quite as free as it once was. It's turning into a joke to some degree.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry. Are you actually trying to make the assertion that TV and Radio are LESS free than they were 20 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

less free than they were 2 or 3 years ago.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps if they had been more responsible with the airwaves that belong to you and I, then they wouldn't have had to have been reigned in somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean as opposed to the moronic people who can't seem to find the dial to turn on a tv or radio much less an off switch? Let's put the responsibility where it belongs.

Perhaps if they held everyone in the media to the same guidelines I wouldn't mind it as much. Unfortunately, they don't.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that people are oversensative. I believe that political correctness has gone way to far. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that a womans breats should be on display during the most watched program there is. That doesn't mean that we should have curse words coming over the airwaves. If you want to produce "scandlous" programming, fine, however, there is a place for that, its called cable. There is also a time for that, that is NOT primetime.

I think that even NOW we have VERY free airwaves. Hell, CBS is allowed to run lies about our President in an effort to hurt his reelection chances. That's pretty damn free if you ask me.

I just think that the TV execs AND the parents of children need to take responsibility for their actions. TV execs do NOT need to put out vulgar or obscene programming in SPECIFIC time slots, those watched most by children. At the same time, the parents of children need to do their JOB and control what their children are exposed to, should that be their desire.

Honestly, I don't know what you mean about other forms of media. In my mind, the government can control (to SOME minor extent) what goes over the airwaves, because they have the power to do so. The airwaves belong to the people of this country, the government leases them out "for us". As far as print, cable, and internet media, I don't think the government has ANY reasonable control at all over what is produced. The only way they should control it is through laws restricting access to "indecent" content based on age.