Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Books for a Midstake-Fish

Hi,
I have a friend who is rich. He is a stockstrader and really succesfull. (no bragging here, keep reading)

I told him that I play poker and that I make decent money with it. I'm still building a bankroll, playing low limits and climbing the ladder steady, but he was impressed and wanted to give it a try.

He started off with 500$ on Party yesterday without having a clue.
Well he knows the rules and played 5-card draw in school, but I watched him and tracked his play and he is LAG. (He likes to play anything sooted and stuff)

Of course I told him about preflop play, gave him tips and source of information.
He didn't read much yet and after playing 2/4 and 5/10 yesterday he deposited 500$ more today (peanuts), because he got broke and started playing 10/20.
I told him that he was just a goldmine for the other players and that he could learn poker in lower limits too.

His respond to that was kinda like "I trade with 100ks of dollars everyday I wouldn't be concentrated".

I don't like seeing him flushing money down the toilet on the tables. I know it is not much money for him, but I want him to get at least brake even (if he gets ethusiastic and studys he can become even more, he is smart but didn't bothered yet to learn in poker).

Now I told him that he should at least read a book with the basics and stuff.

So, if you had to pick two books for this person, which would it be?

I don't think he could understand HEPFAP right away,
but I cannot tell him to buy WLLH or SSH.
They might teach basics, but he will not believe that anything in it will help him in the limits he plays.

What about one book that teaches him the basics and one that will help him in these mid limitgames?
Haven't read "Getting Started in Hold'em" would you recommend it for him?