Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Hiow often is \"nh\" sarcastic?

And I don't mean New Hampshire.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to the chat, and I tend to assume that people are being polite unless they make it prefectly clear that they aren't, which all too many whiners are perfectly happy to make clear.

[In my book, you have to read the potential of the board to the end. Ranting self-proclaimed 'experts' who cap my raises because they consider their simplifying assumptions to be the Commandments of Poker probably contribute as much to my pots as newbie fish)]

Sarcasm and other "tone of speech" are notoriously difficult to read from strangers on the Internet. I've always felt that a courtesy remark is just that, and that people who read them as sarcasm are often just projecting their own inner hostility on to a blank remark. However, I've read many posters who talk about saying "nh" when they are too livid to construct complete cords. Do I simply misunderstand the etiquette?

I couldn't care less if someone is pissed that I won a hand. However, I do try to be polite, so I'll toss in a "nh" to show no hard feelings when I lose to a monster, and reply with aa "ty" if someone tosses a quick "nh" to me. I like a chatty game (though I won't discuss the game itself) and while I don't mind profiting from someone else's tilt (discipline is a big part of the game), I don't try to provoke it. If it was all about the Benjamins, I'd put those extra hours into my profession (which I love). Poker is supposed to be a pleasant change of pace.

So... do you read "nh" as a geniune appreciation of your winning quads, or a skillfully slowplayed hand -- or as an indication that I am tracing your IP and will dream tonight of taking a Louisville slugger to your dentalwork?