Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Skill required in SnGs?

I'm not sure if its what you were thinking, but ultimaty, i think the question would be what is the expected profit from playing the same size bankroll in CG vs. SnG. I guess the RoR for 200BB and 30BI is prolly in the same ballpark (im willing to be corrected, thats just a guess).

I cant give an opinion on the matter, as i rarely play CGs.

On the subject of "skillz", you certainly abandon alot of the deepstack plays, or at least you have fewer opportunities to employ them correctly. Also, OP, you should differentiate between the 1500stack SnGs, and the 800/1000 stacks at Party, which play quite differently. 1500 being somewhat more akin to a CG, but most discussion on this board assumes Party structure.

But SnG have their own skill-set, with the biggest being situationaly dynamic . You will have to be competant at 10handed, 5handed, and heads up play. You will have low blind situations, where patience and selectivity are key. Mid-blinds stituations, where observance of stack sizes and harvesting blinds are key. And mega-high blind situations where if you dont have the intestinal fortitude to pin your ears back and play manicly, youre as good as broomcorn.

Ultimately, the money is made in SnGs in the bubble, where you need smarts AND balls. Quick math in yer head. Determining who is scared to call a p/f push, or is situatinally unwise to do so.

Preflop selection/aggression is the biggest "skill" in SnG poker.

Like i said before, its not "unskilled", its just a different skill-set.