Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Maximizing the chance to win a huge pot

I played this hand a few minutes ago at wild Party 0.50/1 table. I openraise KQ offsuit, then I get limp-reraised and all hell breaks loose. It ends up with a capped 8-handed pot preflop.

UTG+2 seems to be tilting, and he is playing almost any two cards. Also, I think UTG capped just for fun, not that it matters much.

The flop is interesting:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (32 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

This is the play I want to debate. The pot is huge, and although I have 3x the pot odds I need to draw to my gutshot, I want to maximize my chance of winning this pot (all of it).

I can never cut down the pot odds sufficiently to make it incorrect for any conceivable drawing hand to call, but I'm hoping two things will happen:
<ul type="square">[*]Other gutshot draws will be scared away, even if they have odds to draw.[*]I will get a free card.[/list]Obviously, scaring other gutshots into folding is priority one, and since the Party 0.50/1 crowd is not particularly concerned about pot odds, I believe I have a good chance to scare other straight draws out of the pot. Also, I suspect there are some massively overplayed hands out there, and I'm hoping a raise will cool them down enough to give me a free card on the turn as a bonus.

The play made sense to me when I made it, but I'd like to hear from the experts here. Does my flop raise make sense in this humongous pot?

olavfo