Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Queens against the other chip leader

This situation has come up a couple times recently. I'm in good chip position with eight players left. UTG player appears to be a good TAG. We both have around t1800 with blinds at 15-30, so I'd like to avoid a pissing contest with him...

UTG (t1800) raises to t90
UTG +1 (HERO) (t1800) has QhQs

5 shorter stacks in between us and the BB, who has T1400. So between the 3 of us, we have 5000 of the 8000 chips in play.

My thinking here is that UTG is a good player and his raise represents a real hand. I'd like to avoid a huge pot (pre-flop) with him, but if I just call, I'm giving almost 4:1 for the BB to also call. If the hand was just the two of us, I could call and see if an A or K comes. Obviously, I'd like to re-raise but I really don't want to invite a pre-flop push from UTG. Even if he has AK, there's really no need for us to go to war at this point with our chip positions.

I feel that a re-raise is mandatory to avoid giving proper calling odds to BB. Does popping it to 250 sound about right? And if UTG re-raises all-in, would you ever lay this down or would that just be weak?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...