Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2005, 10:21 AM

Default 6MAX Variance -I\'m becoming a manic depressive schizo!

last 2 nites prior to today's session I had 2 80 big bet days at $5-10 6MAX one up the next down- I was very frustrated yesterday feeling as thu I was well on my way to 2.00bb/100-Land at $5-10 6MAX I've played about 30K hands. I smashed a plate yesterday while washing dishes I was so pissed. Yesterday was a bloodbath, I lost like $850 in 1300 hands then just gave up after trying 3 different rooms and a bunch of breaks.

Well today I decided to burn off some of my $250 pending bonus at Paradise. I decided to chill and 3-table $3-6 6MAX. Whoa I won 136 bets ($817) in 1,200 hands...WTF?

I am completely committed to pretty much playing LHE 6MAX as my default game rather than LHE Full but I am still blown away by the swings I have to go thru every hour and every session.

Funny thing is the variance never stops no matter what..it never will [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I'm just starting to get used to it but god damnit it is really tough. One day every is cool the next day is a nightmare.

I'm a very solid and profitable full ring game LHE player up to $5-10 Full-havent really tried playing anything higher consistently
yet.

Any other solid players have the same experience ?

How do you deal with these swings emotionally?

I guess one way to condition yourself is just to say ok every session I'm gonna be stuck 75 big bets-now deal with it and fuggin play you wussy.

I tend to play 1 long session during my playing days usually 1700-2300 hands. Should I break my sessions up a bit?

I think this is a mjaor factor why so few players(even very good players) grind out 6MAX every day.

My feeling is once you have a solid base winrate say ~2.00bb+/100 on 50K hands and you've experienced 3-4 up 100 bigbet days and 3-4 down 100 bigbet days then just maybe you may be used to the swingage. Problem for me at $5-10 6MAX is I'm in 1.25-1.75 bb/100 purgatory. With a winrate of less than 1.50 bb/100 and a standard deviation of 15bb/100 the swings are brutal. Unless you can get your winrate to above at a minimum 1.75 bb/100 the game is tortuous ..and this is only at $5-10 haha even if you net good money overall ..I'm such a wuss..gotta get that winrate to 1.75-2.25bb/100 range. That's my goal not 2.50-3.00 bb/100 thats not realistic for me at this time.
All my other 6MAX results $1-2,$2-4 and $3-6 on big samples
are all very good:3.25bb/100,2.25bb/100,2.75 bb/100 respectively.

I've layed down the gauntlet to challenge myself to DEAL with this but to tell you the truth honestly I'm only doing fair so far.

Any feedback welcome