Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: God is Love

" ... realize that scripture is the only infallible rule of faith .."

To the Christian literalists who are contributing to this thread:

Why are you being selective in your interpretation and emphasis of scripture, and then insisting that your own interpretation and emphasis is infallible?

Let me give you one of many possible examples (but I would suggest that it lies at the core of the Christian faith): what must a person do in order to be saved?

In Matthew 25:31-46, it is only those who feed the hungry, clothe the naked, welcome strangers, visit the sick and imprisoned, who will attain eternal life. Verse 46 states quite categorically that those who fail to do these things "will go away to eternal punishment" (NIV).

Not only is this is written in black and white, but these are the stark words of Jesus Himself.

That suggests to me that, if you believe that scripture is infallible, and moreover should be interpreted literally, then a man who accepts Christ on his death-bed, but has no time to fulfil these requirements "will go away to eternal punishment".

I ask you to take a step back from what (in the context of your belief system) is "second nature" to you, and try to think from the perspective of a newbie who approaches the Bible with the premise that EVERY verse is the infallible word of God.

Why should the newbie attach greater significance to other scriptures relating to salvation, than this particular passage?

Given your rigorous philosophical approach, what evidence, Biblically or otherwise, is there to support such an emphasis?

If the requirements for salvation do not include these works, then why is Jesus apparently so adamant about them?