Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Short Stack Play From the Small Blind Dennis Bragg

I enjoyed this article. It simplifies and clarifies a lot of the discussion on the single table forum.

However, it glosses over an important point. All of the analysis is done based on the assumption that you can estimate what percentage of hands the BB will call when you push from SB. The implication is that this percentage depends only on what BB holds.

At the very end of the article, the author mentions that BB is more likely to make a loose call if SB pushes a small stack. This is critical to understand! According to one table, SB should push 32o if he judges BB to have tight calling standards. But if BB knows that SB should push with 32o (meaning any 2 cards), what should BB call with? Almost anything? Top 60%? Top 50%?

Personally, if I have 8BB after posting the BB on the bubble, and SB pushes 4BB after it is folded to him, my call depends on my read of him. I will certainly make a much looser call than he probably estimates I will. If I lose, we will have traded stacks. If I win, he is out and I have much improved my chip position.

Sabre170