Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Tough Hand, wasn\'t sure whether to make call on Riv?

[ QUOTE ]

My "The problem with your leading out at all IMO is that you have very little to gain - and a ton (or at least T150) to lose. " comment was regarding the river. "at all..." was in regards to 'any amount'.

Yeah, I thought about leading out on the flop. I do understand that it could be useful in gathering information. The problem 6-handed is, I do know of an amount that would give you the information you need/want -- folds and/or raises. If you have no intention of calling a raiser (which I assume he wouldn't), then you're proposing a best case scenario where everyone folds (not happening), or you were simply called, by MANY perhaps. Now what? He picks up the OESD on the turn....push? Granted given the nature of this particular hand development it would have taken down the pot. What if he doesn't...assume check/fold now? Maintain your assertion?Trying to take the lead with a marginal hand, in a family pot like this is asking for trouble IMO. I'm looking for the cheapest way toward hand improvement or an exit opportunity when the pricing dictates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I understand what you're saying, but I think the point is that the cheapest way to play this is to lead out on the flop, given how cheap the lead-out is.

The lead out really is saying "I hit the pair of kings"; I don't think we're tying to hide our hand very much here (and that is fine). Anyone who raises is saying "Ok, I see you hit your Kings and I'm guess I've got a better kicker (or 2p or trips or whatever)" The problem with the check is that it's saying "I've missed...you?" which will encourage a much wider range of hands (include some we beat) to take a stab at it.

Then we're in much harder decision-making territory: Do we call a min-bet when the action comes back around? I haven't asked the MP player to define his hand at all, so he really could be betting with a lot of stuff that we beat. The goal is to set ourselves up for an easy (and cheap decision).

The way the OP played the hand he lost a lot more than the 40 it would have cost him to lead out.