Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2005, 07:22 AM

Default What to Major in for the next five years.

This is probably better posted in the General poker forum but I regard the folk here as the best and I (sometimes) get some really useful advice here.

My question concerns what poker variant to Major in? My requirement is, where am I going to get the biggest edge, with reasonable variance, within my skill limitation? I’ve been playing just over a year and am seriously break even at PP50 6 max NLHE, PP50+5 SnG and PP25 Pot limit Omaha. Just to be break even is great. It means I’m one of the top 10% to 2% depending where you get your statistics. It’s ‘five’ more years before I plan to make a living playing poker by then I hope to be expert (and tilt less) in whatever my Major is. This seems quite achievable.

So…

SnG – On the face of it anybody playing sound SnG strategy has a big edge over somebody who doesn’t. However seems to me at a typical 50+5, six or seven will be playing at least something like the standard winning strategy. I don’t think you can make bucket loads of money here. Also variance is big in SnG with some supposedly good players reporting losing streaks lasting over a 1000 games. I know plenty of 2+2ers do make a reasonable living with SnG but they must play a shed load of games per day.

MTT – Huge variance not really suitable for paying the Community Charge (City taxes to you).

Omaha – I’m still fairly new to this game. That I became break even so quickly says a lot about it. It’s much more probabilities and less people the Hold’em. I don’t think it would be that hard to be winner at this game but I'm not convinced you could ever obtain a big edge.

Limit Hold’em – Never played it but again it’s clearly more probabilities than people with consequently less edge.

NLHE – Full ring, now your talking , however they is something even better…

NLHE 6 max – Surely, if you can hack it, this is where the pot of gold lies?

Anything else - Such as stud, Omaha hi/lo?

Whatever becomes my major, will never be my exclusive game. I hope to explore other poker variants.

Wife and two cats to feed.