Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2005, 03:13 PM

Default JJ(or TT,99) fundamental question

PLaying 1/2 and 2/4 and wondered how you guys approach these type hands with the following conditions.

Say you are in middle position with JJ and there are two limpers ahead of you, the blinds are also loose defenders and in general the table is loose passive with many calling stations. I know great table right!!

Is this an automatic raise for value? I know my hand is probably way ahead at this point to the typical limp garbage but is easily outdrawn and the raise will do little to limit the field. It may buy the button but even that isn't guaranteed and I will probably be in a pot three or four handed. Sklansky wrote in HEFAP about this when with hands like JJ when you want either few opponents to try to win unimproved or against many for set value. What guidelines do you follow?

What is your standard line for these situations knowing that if an overcard comes such as an A or K any opponent will call you down so you cannot bluff him off with continued aggression? Do you still value raise preflop here or do you play for set value?

I assume most of you guys will raise but is it a more +EV play to raise or limp along?