Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2005, 07:32 AM

Default betting when \"you\'ll only get called by a better hand\"

I completely understand this statement when players discuss hands. It's especially useful when you have the nut flush, but it's possible that Villian has a full house. You need to proceed with caution if you get raised because if you reraise, you will certainly only get called by a better hand.

Well, what if I want to make a better hand fold? Surely this is possible by betting sometimes. An example would be betting with a four to flush on board. If I have position on my opponent, betting when checked to me would be a +EV wouldn't it? I believe your opponent will only call with a hand that has you beat. However, on the flip side, your opponent will also fold hands that you cannot beat.

I only ask this because today, during a 2/4 NL game, I had J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP. Villian was SB. Flop was J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villian bet 4, I raised to 12, the rest of the field folded, and Villian called. Turn was 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villian checks, I bet 20, Villian calls. At this point, I don't believe Villian has a flush because he would've either check-raised or bet right out on the turn. River was 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villian checks, I check.

Villian turns over 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I study the board and say "Nice hand" and muck my hand. I checked the river because Villian will only call with a hand that beats my right? But in this case, I believe betting would've gotten my opponent to fold the winning hand. So where do you draw the line of when to value bet the river, when to bet the river hoping to get a better hand to fold, and when to check the river because you will only get called by a better hand? I understand this is something that probably comes with tons of experience, but I think it's frustrating when you lose to a hand because you chose to check the river because the board was highly coordinated.