Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Adams\' book, page 70: folding on fifth street with two pair

I'm reading Ashley Adam's book, Winning 7-Card Stud. So far its decent. Its geared towards beginners and the lower limits (up to 10/20), so some of the advice seems to try to leer the player to playing tighter, which is good for most people. With that said, on p.70, he makes a recommendation to fold, which I'm not sure about. I wanted to see what the general opinion is here.

5-10 game, 8-handed.
You have a 4 showing and bring it in, with 8,4 in the hole. Everyone calls. The up cards are : Q, 5, 4, 5, 8, 6, J. The Q is to your left.

On fourth, you catch an 8 for two pair. Everyone checks (Q starts the action), and you bet. Everyone folds except the J, who got a T on fourth.

On fifth, you catch a T and your lone opponent pairs his door card. So the hand is :
You: (4,8) 4,8,T
Opp: J-T-J

He bets. should you call?

Adams' advice is to fold because the opponent has at least two pair and possibly trips. You only have two outs left, and even if you hit, you may just lose more.

My take on it is that he's unlikely to have trips (no raise on third or fourth), and may not have a pair either. He probably had a 3-straight or a 3-flush to start. But even with a 3-straight or a 3-flush, he's still close to 40% to beat you, so I think the decision is close between folding and calling, not as clear cut as Adams makes it seem.

I'm looking forward to what the forum thinks.

(my background - I played stud in the past, up to 10/20, but in the last 8 years or so, I've played almost hold'em exclusively...just getting back to stud now - so I'm reading everything I can).