Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2005, 11:48 PM

Default AA -- Turn/River decisions

So I'm in a great 15-30 game the other day. Loose, relatively passive, with only a couple of tricky players. I'm on the button, 1 EP, 1 MP, and CO limp when I look down to see the rockets' red glare, A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I raise, SB folds, BB (a dessicated old woman, extremely weak-tight/passive) calls along with the limpers. Five to the flop for 10.5 SB.

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], meaning there are a couple of potential draws out there but nothing too scary. Checked to me, I bet, BB, EP, and CO call. BB I've mentioned. EP is one of the tricky ones, more LAGgy than anything else. CO is relatively loose-passive.

Turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Not really the card I wanted to see. They check to me. Operating under the assumption that I'm either way ahead (most likely) or way behind (if one of them has a J), I check behind. I'm thinking I might induce a river bluff if they put me on AK/AQ.

River is an ugly 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Not really what I wanted to see. Not a heart, but any 6 or J beats me. Somewhat to my surprise, they all check to me again. I now value-bet, hoping to get paid off by a lower pair. To my surprise, BB croaks out "raise" in her dessicated voice. I haven't seen her check-raise once in the last 3 hours. I have seen her call down (rather than raise) with hands like the 3rd nut flush. EP & CO both fold. I can't see any way she doesn't have a J or 6. I fold.

Thoughts? At the time I thought the turn check was proper, but given the 2-flush on the board, I'm not so sure. I'm also wondering about the river bet/fold to a raise decision. (Though that was opponent-specific. I probably would have called EP if he had raised.)