Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Mr 2+2er, there is no way you can put me on this draw... so...

10/20 NL. I open-raise to $80 in middle position with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. One caller, a strong 2+2er who likes to see a lot of flops. He likes to check/call (often) and check/raise (sometimes) PFRers and often slowplays big pairs, so in short he could be holding anything and planning anything. We each have $2000.

Flop:

2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, I check.

Turn:

5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets $100, I raise to $400, he goes into the tank for a long time and calls.

River:

K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks, I pause for a while because of technical issues and bet $600, he agonizes for a long time, types incoherent things into the chat box, and finally calls with 66.

My take is that by misplaying the flop, I won myself a huge pot.

When I raise junk and miss, I autobet. But when I raise junk and hit a draw, especially against decent opponents, I tend to check and take my free card. Against one opponent who often check/calls, AND POSITION, I think that's a mistake. I should bet this flop. I don't fear a min-raise here; it would make me unhappy but it's OK. And a check-call is ideal.

Of course, by checking the flop and raising the turn, an unusual play for me, I put a seed of doubt into villain's mind and he called my river bet. (He must've thought that he had 6 outs on the turn and may've been ahead.) Obviously this way I make more when I hit, but I make a lot less every time I whiff.

Anyway. I don't raise suited crap enough to have a good line against good players with it.