Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Suggestions on a different line

PokerStars $33 RA. Top spot pays a spot to the main event at the WSOP and 2 - 13 pays $650. Started with 283 players and we're down to 21. I'm at $45,000 in chips with blinds at $1500/$3000. I'm about 10th in chips overall and the chip leader has about $150,000 with second around $85,000.

I catch AA UTG+1. I decided to get tricky so I just called in early position with my aces hoping someone would raise a big amount and I could come over the top all in. My concern was that any normal size raise here would induce folds around the table netting me only the blinds. The two big stacks at the table had been punishing limpers with big raises forcing them to lay their hands down so I thought this was a perfect place to play weak into them and let them make a big bet with a marginal hand. Instead I get three limpers (MP, SB, BB). Flop comes AKJ rainbow. The flop is a little scary but I'm hoping that by checking I'll induce a bluff and can come over the top. It gets checked to the BB and he bets about half the pot. I raise and MP calls. I don't have a read on MP since he was recently moved to our table. SB and BB fold. Turn is a blank and I fire again. He calls. River is a blank and I move all in figuring I'm not laying this hand down anyway and if he is on two pair than I want the rest of his chips. He calls and flips up QT for the flopped straight.

Was I simply destined to go broke on that hand? Any suggestions on how it could have been played differently? I've thought through several different lines I could have took but they all look better in retrospect and look very stupid had he had something like JT. If I had let him draw cheap on a hand like that and he sucked out I would have been kicking myself. Since he showed no aggression I don't think I can put him on a stronger hand. I even think it might have been a mistake for him to let me keep drawing to a boat because had the board paired it would have been him out of the tournament instead of me.