Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu is now 1st a businessman, 2nd a poker player

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it seems to be that you have little concept of how capitalism and a free market approach works. if the wages being paid for Nike were so atrociously bad, people wouldn't work there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be so naive as to believe this can you? I hate "lol" but I am literally laughing so hard that you're seriously suggesting that sweat shop wages in Indonesia aren't so bad, because, well, why else would people work there? Maybe because they're poor Indonesions who are easily exploitable due to a lack of options. YOU CANNOT HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS DRIVEL! HOLY [censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying is: they're better off with the sweat shops than without them because they have no other options, but the sweat shops are bad anyway, because they don't treat their workers as well as US employers are forced to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehh not to hijack this thread or anything, but if anyone believes sweat shop wages are anything but terrible you might want to do some research on the subject. I'm not a know it all but I happened to do some research on sweat shops and child prostition in Asia and it basically goes like:

1. Family can't eat.
2. Someone says if you let us take your child we will pay you 200 bucks a month
3. Family has choice of either letting child starve to death or give them up. Literally, the child is starving to death. What is the family going to do?
4. Child leaves and works for "company" for very very little money a month, which is given directly to family, plus the child is given food.

Sorry for this comment but it bothers me when people talk about this subject, because it's really serious and something everyone should know about. If you want further discussion I suggest someone starts a thread in OOT or looks up research...and by research I mean credible, like library style research.

Jon